Friday, February 24, 2012

Driving from Salt Lake City to Helena MT?

This august I'll be driving from salt lake city utah to helena, MT for a wedding. I'll be driving with my teenage son, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any sights along the way that are worth checking out?Driving from Salt Lake City to Helena MT?
I've done this run several times (live in Helena / family in Flagstaff). It really depends on how far off the freeway you'd like to go. There's the obvious stops if you don't mind going out a little ways (Craters of the Moon, City of Rocks, Grand Tetons/Yellowstone).



I really enjoy swinging by Crystal Park in Montana. It's a bit out of Dillon and may be too far if you're on a tight schedule. You can spend quite a long time there digging away looking for quartz crystals. We always have fun visiting that park. Bannack Ghost Town is along the way if you want to take a scenic drive along hwy 278 and 43. Beautiful country.



Closer to the freeway: Can anyone say Berkeley Pit in Butte? Who doesn't want to see a toxic superfund site? Beyond that, there aren't a lot of great sites on that stretch of the freeway. I've never thought a whole lot of Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Dillon, or Butte. Helena, though, is a really nice little town to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment