Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Will I need chains for traveling from Portland, OR to Salt Lake City in early November?

Like the question says, I'm contemplating a drive from Portland, OR to Salt Lake City in early November. I just have a regular Sedan which as is, cannot drive in the snow or in ice. Will I be just fine, or should I use chains? If I need chains, for how much of the trip will I need to use them? ThanksWill I need chains for traveling from Portland, OR to Salt Lake City in early November?
If you don't carry chains you may be prevented from crossing the passes. November can bring big snow.
Hey,no need to worry about it.early November is still the fall season unless the winter season arrives early as it happens sometimes.you'll be fine on your way there,but on your way back,I can't tell you.it all depends on how long you'll stay in Salt Lake City where the winter can be kind of harsh.by the way,I love Portland.it's a green,nice city.Will I need chains for traveling from Portland, OR to Salt Lake City in early November?
If you live in Oregon, you should invest in a set of studded snow tires and have chains as a back up. I drove 2 winters in Idaho with regular radial tires and 240 lbs of sand in my truck bed. Take the time to learn how your vehicle reacts in bad weather. It's not the vehicle but, the driver. I've seen 4x4's stuck in the snow due to inexperienced drivers. I was used to snow having grown up in PA in the 60's.

No comments:

Post a Comment