Friday, February 24, 2012

I'll be in Salt Lake City/Provo for one day. What should I do for fun?

I am going to a friend's wedding in Provo area and I'll have some free time to do something in the area for one day, I'd like to explore the outdoors-hiking etc. around the area. What do you recommend? What are some good and not too strenuous day hikes--like 3-4 hours at the most?



I want to float in the Salt Lake, but I hear it's kind of gross and not worth it except for the novelty. What is your opinion?



The Timpanogos(?) caves seemed interesting too--How long does that take and is it interesting?I'll be in Salt Lake City/Provo for one day. What should I do for fun?
We used to live in the Salt Lake metro area. It is a wonderful area to visit, especially if you appreciate the outdoors. Before you think about what best to do, I think you need to get a better idea of the actual travel time involved. You are looking at 45 minutes to an hour just to get from Provo to SLC proper. If you only have a day, you really need to decide what you most want to do.

The best way to see the Great Salt Lake is by going onto Antelope Island. It is a very interesting trip, but a long one. If I remember correctly, it is almost another 30 minutes north of SLC. You have to cross a long, slow moving causeway to get there. If your primary reason for going to the Great Salt Lake is to float in it, I would recommend thinking it over. "Kind of gross" does not even begin to describe the water. It is full of brine shrimp, so anyone that goes into the water comes out covered with them. It has a sort of rancid smell and depending on the time of year, there are little tiny flies that will swarm you. All of that said, it is gorgeous to see and you have an opportunity to view the buffalo that live on the island.

If you like hiking, you can't beat the hike to Timpanogas! It is beauty beyond words and the cave is like nothing you'll ever experience unless you are trully a cave explorer. Be warned, it is a long and difficult hike. It is so steep that the trail is one switch back after the other and there is not an guide rail or other barrier between you, the trail, and the cliff. The path is about 4 ft wide. Bring as much water as you can carry, but don't forget how heavy water is! And bring food to eat! There are no concession stands when you get to the cave! Don't forget that hiking down is often more difficult and dangerous then hiking up! Again, after saying all of that, my husband, 3 little girls and I did the hike. It took us several hours - I don't recall how many. Our girls were about 18 months (carried on my husband's back in a carrier), 4 yrs and 8 yrs. We did it, so I am sure an able bodied adult who enjoys hiking can do it!! It is one experience I will never forget! I am so glad that we did it, but don't fool yourself into thinking it is an easy hike. You will need good hiking shoes for sure and one of those hiking poles would have been a Godsend!

I think you can get to Timpanogas from a loop road (maybe American Fork Canyon?) and it was a beautiful drive with lots of short hikes along the route.

One other important note, especially if you are from a metro area, do not underestimate the gas level in your car! If you head out to Timpanogas, Antelope Island, or anything described as a "scenic loop" fill up your tank! You will quickly discover that you are out West!

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you enjoy your time in SLC. We absolutely loved our 20 months living there!

No comments:

Post a Comment