Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What is the best route to follow when driving from Salt Lake City, Utah to Atlanta, Georgia?

We are going to be making the trip in mid December of this year. We would like to see some sights to make the drive worth it, while still trying to make it across the country in about a week. Any suggestions would be very helpful!What is the best route to follow when driving from Salt Lake City, Utah to Atlanta, Georgia?
I'm not sure of the weather in mid-December, it could drastically change any route.



In good weather, I-80 East to I-29 South to I-70. Out of St. Louis take I-64 to I-57, follow that South to I-24. Then you follow I-24 to Chattanooga. Leaving Chattanooga, follow I-75 to Atlanta. Your distance will be 1,875 miles, travel time should be 28 hours spread out over 4 days.



In bad weather you will want to take a route that does not take you into higher elevations. I have been in Kansas City when there was an awful lot of snow before Christmas, and that's not even high elevation. If you are used to driving in show, the last route may be OK.



Otherwise take I-15 South to Las Vegas. Then take US 93 South to Phoenix and pick up I-10. Take I-10 East to Mile 186 in Texas, at this point take I-20 to Atlanta. This fair weather route is much farther, distance 2,563 miles and travel time should be 39+ hours over 4 days.



I travel in a motorhome and must watch out for these things and try to cover all bases. Being stranded, in a snow storm, in an automobile is different than a motorhome. I have a nice warm bed to stay in while waiting for rescuers.



As for sights to see, stop at every states welcome center as you travel and pick-up their state map. Most also have brochures of things to see and do in their state.

No comments:

Post a Comment